Surely, more than once, you have wondered what tourists think about Madrid, right?
We certainly do it. Because it is very important for a business like ours, which offers Segway tours in Madrid. In order to find out what visitors are expecting from the city. And to offer a better tourist service every day.
According to a recently published study by PWC, in which 154 people of different nationalities participated, 60% of visitors choose leisure as the main reason for the trip,. While 29% are business travelers. This study gives us an idea of what tourists think about Madrid . And what they are looking for when visiting the capital.
People from key strategic markets were chosen for this survey. Such as Germany, Argentina, Brazil, China, USA, France, Holland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Nordics, Portugal, United Kingdom, Russia and Switzerland.
Here are some conclusions:
KIND OF TOURISTS
- 63% of people answering the survey are from Europe, 27% from America and 10% from Asia.
- 60% of respondents visiting the capital of Spain, considers himself as a leisure tourist, 29% are business travelers and 11% are traveling for both reasons.
- The main factors taken into account when traveling are safety and cleanliness, infrastructure and quality / price ratio.
- The factors less taken into account is nightlife leisure and Madrid as a traveling with children destination. In fact 85% of these people prefer visiting Madrid without children.
- Tourists looking for “price”, take into account primarily the quality / price relation, hospitality, cultural heritage, infrastructure.
- Tourists seeking exclusivity (14% of respondents) take into account factors such as the events in Madrid, shopping and nightlife offers.
- Among tourists who more spend (accommodation) per day are the Portuguese with € 138 daily and French with 116 € per day. Followed by the Nordic countries with 93 € per day and Chinese with 90 € daily.
MADRID CITY EXPERIENCE
- Tourists repeating visit to Madrid are those of Mexico, Portugal, Germany, Italy.
- Tourists who do not often repeat visit are Brazil, Britain, Japan and the Nordic countries.
- Portuguese people spend more in accommodation and catering.
- Brazilians and Argentineans spend a greater amount of money in leisure and shopping.
- A higher amount is destined to accommodation, followed by shopping, catering and leisure, in that order.
- People between 30 and 55 years old are the ones who expend more, distinguishing men, who spend more on accommodation and catering from women, who devote more resources to entertainment and shopping.
- Best time of year to visit Madrid: spring, followed by autumn, and winter and summer finally.
REASONS FOR THE VISIT
- The main reason to visit Madrid is cultural heritage, monuments and museums (56%), followed by visiting friends and relatives (23%) and food (22%).
- Americans visit Madrid mainly for its gastronomy, the Russians for purchases offers and English for a short break.
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION CHANNELS
The main channel used by everybody for their travel purchase is the internet, except in the case of China and France, which also use travel agencies.
- Internet (82%)
- Travel Guides (40%)
- Recommendation (34%)
EVALUATION COMPARING WITH OTHER COMPETITORS
- Tourists are DO meet their full expectations in terms of transport, infrastructure, and gastronomy.
- Tourists DO NOT meet their expectations in terms of the use of English as a means of communication.
- Among the major world capitals that these people prefer as a tourist destination, Madrid occupies the 6th place. Paris, the first (25%), followed by New York (22%) and London (20%). Rome occupies the 4th place (15%), followed by Barcelona (6%).
It´s very important to know what tourists think about Madrid, to improve our services. We, the locals, get bad grade in language, and we are very concious that we must care very much our monumetal and cultural heritage, as it is the main tourist attraction and one of the best ways to preserve our history.